· A quarter million people are forced to flee after more than a dozen wildfires ravage Southern California, "killing at least one person, injuring dozens more and forcing hundreds of thousands of evacuations. Overwhelmed firefighters said they lacked the resources to save many houses."
· Right-wing pundit Glenn Beck ignores seasonal climate patterns and explains the wildfires as divine retribution against California's "liberal" values. "I think there is a handful of people who hate America. Unfortunately for them, a lot of them are losing their homes in a forest fire today." Audio at Media Matters.
· One week the White House vetoes health care for children, the next week President George Bush asks Congress "for another $46 billion to fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan." Since 2003, Congress has "already provided more than $455 billion for the Iraq War, with stepped-up military operations running about $10 billion a month."
· George Clooney and Matthew McConaughey sitting in a tree ...
· The House will vote Wednesday on the Employment Non-Discrimination Act which would protect gays and lesbians in the workforce, and, on an amendment to extend protection to include gender identity. Meanwhile, the United ENDA campaign drums up support for the Baldwin Amendment. More on that campaign HERE. For an engrossing historical perspective, Doug Ireland deconstructs the current controversy for the Gay City News.
· Visible Vote 08 watches the Republican presidential debate so you didn't have to. Strong analysis of libertarian and anti-gay Ron Paul's position against a same-sex marriage amendment versus serial flip-flopper and faux-pro-gay Mitt Romney's position supporting one.