There is an update to the case of the 18-year-old Connecticut football star accused of fatally stabbing a 27-year-old man that he was sexually involved with. Tarence Mitchell was released from jail in mid December after his family posted the $1 million bond and remains on house arrest. Tarence Mitchell appeared in court again on Friday, January 17.
The captain of the Bloomfield High School football team says he was sexually manipulated and harassed since he was 16-years-old by Ronald Taylor—who allegedly threatened to tell Mitchell's Facebook friends and mother when the teen attempted to cut it off, according to court documents. Police said Mitchell has confessed to the crime—and said that he chased Taylor after a verbal argument and then stabbed him "five times with a steak knife."
Mitchell's attorney wants to plead the case down to manslaughter, reports Hartford's CBS 3.
As he entered the courtroom Friday, Mitchell had no comment for Eyewitness News. The victim's family also had no comment for Eyewitness News. Police said they had nothing new to report on Friday. Mitchell will be back in court Feb. 7. He's working toward completing his high school requirements.
The judge granted the victim's family's request to return his car, where the deadly fight began to Taylor's mother.
Outside court, Rueckert commented about the possibility of trying to plead the case down to manslaughter. "This type of case, it's much too early for those kind of discussions without having the discovery, and the autopsy, police reports," Rueckert said.
"Mitchell told police that the two had a sexual relationship and that Taylor gave him marijuana and alcohol over the last two years, according to court papers," reported the Hartford Courant. "Police also report the victim was previously stabbed by another male teen in the summer of 2012 who is younger than Mitchell. Taylor said the teen [had] slept over at [his] house the night before."